Chiropractic Support for Headaches or Migraine Relief
Headaches have a variety of sources and can be caused by such common conditions as stress, fatigue, lack of sleep, hunger, changes in estrogen level, weather changes, or caffeine withdrawal. According to the Harvard Medical School, the three most common types of headaches are tension, sinus, and migraine.
But the worst is migraines.
In the U.S., more than 37 million people suffer from migraines and 91 percent miss work or can’t function normally during a migraine attack. Unfortunately, migraines are most common between the ages of 25 and 55.
Headache and Migraine Relief Remedies
It is important to work with your doctor to develop a program to prevent and treat headaches without falling into the trap of overusing medications, even over-the-counter options.
Consider consulting with a chiropractic doctor. He or she may be able to:
- Provide nutritional advice, recommending a change in diet, including the addition of B complex vitamins or other supplements.
- Refer and provide guidance on posture, ergonomics (work postures), exercises and relaxation techniques (massage).
- Perform spinal manipulation or chiropractic adjustments to improve spinal function and alleviate the stress on your system.
Research on Headaches
Studies show that spinal manipulation, one of the primary treatments provided by chiropractors, may be an effective treatment option for tension headaches. Published research in the Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics (JMPT) found that:
- common chiropractic interventions improved outcomes for the treatment of acute and chronic neck pain
- increased benefit was shown where a multimodal approach to neck pain had been used
- chiropractic care techniques, including spinal manipulation, improved migraine and cervicogenic headaches
Chiropractors undergo extensive training to help their patients in many ways beyond just treatment for low-back pain. They know how tension in the spine relates to problems in other parts of the body, and they will take steps to relieve those problems.
The American Chiropractic Association (ACA) offers the following suggestions that you can take to prevent headaches:
- If you spend the majority of your day in one position, such as in front of a computer or reading, take a break and stretch your head and neck every 30 minutes to one hour
- If you are prone to dull, throbbing headaches, engage in non-strenuous exercises such as walking and low-impact aerobics
- Avoid teeth clenching since this can lead to a specific form of tension headaches
- Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day to help avoid dehydration, which can lead to headaches
A Natural Option for Migraine Relief
At Brooklyn Integrative Health Care, in Bay Ridge, New York, we offer a combination of services that benefits the mind and the body to help create vitality, balance, good health, and to alleviate pain. Dr. Huml is both a licensed chiropractor and nutritionist, and a member of the American Chiropractor Association (ACA) with over 30 years in practice.
If you are searching for natural, non-invasive headache or migraine relief, call our clinic to make an appointment at 718-748-6644 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org today! We are committed to providing natural health solutions to obtain the maximum quality of life. Plus, we offer the best massage in Brooklyn!