Ever wonder why your lipstick tastes funky? Or why your foundation feels greasy? There are harmful chemicals that are in most skincare and makeup products and it can wreak havoc on your health. So before you break the bank and spend that next $100 at Sephora, take this list with you and make sure you pay attention to the ingredients list!
- Benzophenone- a chemical linked to cancer and is used in products such as lip balm and nail polish.
- Mica- mineral used in many cosmetic products; also used in cement and asphalt as well as insulation material for electric cable. Do you really want that on your face?
- Talc- some talc contains asbestos and should be avoided in all powdered beauty products.
- Phthalates- these are chemicals that are linked to endocrine disruption, reproductive toxicity, and cancer. It is actually banned from cosmetics in the European Union.
- Parabens- are used as preservatives to avoid the growth of microbes and is linked to endocrine disruption.
- Lead and heavy metals- included in lipsticks, whitening toothpaste, eyeliner, nail polish, and foundations. Exposure to heavy metals has been linked to health concerns including reproductive, immune, and nervous system toxicity.
- Phenoxyethanol- is used as a preservative for cosmetics, perfumes, and soaps. Excessive exposure to this is linked to eczema and can acutely affect nervous system function.
- Titanium Dioxide- used in powdered makeup. If inhaled, it’s considered a possible carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer.
- Polytetrafluoroethylene (aka Teflon) - This non-stick ingredient is associated with delayed menstruation, late breast development, and cancer.
- Ethanolamine Compounds (MEA, DEA, TEA And others)- these chemicals are used extensively in cosmetics and can be linked to liver tumors, cancer, and organ system toxicity.
Check out www.ewg/org/skindeep. There is a list of most beauty products and their toxicity level. Every product is numbered from 1-8, 1 being the least toxic and 8 being the most toxic. It’s a great website to use before buying your next beauty purchase.
YOU DON’T HAVE TO POISON YOURSELF OR PUT YOURSELF AT RISK JUST TO LOOK GOOD!